- 1 cup warm water
- 2 1/4 tsp rapid rise yeast (one packet/envelope)
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 3 TBS vegetable oil (I use canola oil)
- 1 cup of unbleached white flour or bread flour
- 1 cup of whole wheat flour (If you don't want whole wheat in your crust, just use all white flour)
MIX with wooden spoon until blended, then add another 1/2 cup flour.
Turn onto lightly floured counter and knead dough for 5 minutes, adding flour as needed. Dough should be soft and smooth, not sticky. (I use less than 3 cups of flour total.)
Cover and let rise in a warm place for 45 minutes. (I put mine in my over-the-range microwave, with the microwave light on. This helps to keep it nice and warm, and prevents drafts from affecting the dough. NOTE: Do not run the microwave.)
Punch down and place on lightly floured countertop. If you're careful, the dough will remain in a circular shape. Toss or press out (with either rolling pin or by hand) until the size of large pizza pan. Transfer to lightly oiled pizza pan or stone and press to the edges.
Add toppings* of your choice.
NOTE: Once the toppings are on, we like to let the pizza dough raise another 15-20 minutes before putting it in the oven.
BAKE at 400 degrees for 18-20 minutes.
I use this recipe to make one 15" pizza (on the Pampered Chef large round stone with handles). This makes for a nice, thick crust. If you like a thinner crust, this recipe will make two 12" pizzas.
*HOMEMADE PIZZA SAUCE:
- 1 pint of tomato sauce (I used my home-canned sauce)
- 1 6-oz. can tomato paste (with Italian seasonings is best)
- Season to taste with garlic powder, basil, oregano, sugar, and salt
Let simmer for 20-30 minutes. I let this cool before spreading it on the pizza dough.
This makes enough sauce for two 15" pizzas.
*A NOTE ON THE CHEESE: Our favorite cheese is the Hillandale Farms Shredded Pizza Cheese, a blend of Italian cheeses.