Thursday, December 11, 2014

Christmas Joy


Dear Lord, I’m feeling down today,
The bills are stacked up high;
With Christmas just two weeks away,
Our bank account’s run dry.
The kids have all presented lists
Of things they want to see;
I hope and pray there’s nothing missed
Beneath our Christmas tree.
But I don’t have the money for
Expensive clothes and toys;
My credit card can’t take much more –
Lord, where’s my Christmas joy?
Perhaps it’s wrapped up in that hug
My daughter gave this morn;
Or stacked with wood my son did lug
To keep us nice and warm.
Perhaps it’s in my oldest’s eyes
When he comes home on break
And sees I’ve baked those pumpkin pies
He wanted me to make.
Perhaps it’s in the tired lines
Around my husband’s eyes.
Perhaps in love that’s grown with time
I’ve found the greater prize.
A friend who gives a hearty smile,
And cupboards that aren’t bare;
And, even if they aren’t in style,
I’ve got some clothes to wear.
A family who believes in me
In all things, great and small –
Dear God, I think I finally see
I am not poor at all.

For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also.
- Matthew 6:21 (RSV)

                     

© 1997 by Michele T. Huey. All rights reserved.


1 comment: