Sunday, August 4, 2013

Hitch glitch

My times are in Your hand. – Psalm 31:14 NKJV
      
      
Hubby and I are shopping for a used 5th wheel camper for our fortieth anniversary trip this fall.

Throughout the month of July, we looked at 10 physically and hundreds online, searching for the one that would meet our criteria, which included weight and dollar limits. We put 1,600 miles on our new truck, traipsing all over western Pennsylvania. The more we looked, the better picture we had of what we wanted and would work for us.
      
By July 31, we found the one, told the sellers we wanted it, and drove home euphoric. The next day could only be described as anticlimactic. All I’ll say is “hitch issues.”  I was so upset, I cleaned the house. And I clean house only when company is coming, I can’t stand the dust any longer, or I have emotional energy to burn.
   
As I wrestled with my anger and frustration, I didn’t want to admit I was acting like a spoiled child.   
      
Fortunately, the sellers are people of faith. “It’s in God’s hands,” she told me when I called to let them know about the hitch glitch.
      
But the obstacle to getting the 5th wheel was only part of what I was frustrated about.
   
At the beginning of July, I’d expected to have 20,000 words of my novel done by the end of the month. Due to events beyond my control, I didn’t even reach half that goal. I’d believed we’d have a 5th wheel camper sitting in our driveway.
   
But life is what happens while you’re making other plans, right?
   
I thought I’d had things under control, but I got turned around. I didn’t get back to writing and I could have. I didn’t trust God with my wants, giving in to the false impression that my Father in heaven frowns upon me having fun. I was dangerously close to taking matters in my own hands.
   
Until the seller's words reminded me of Proverbs 19:21: “Many are the plans in the mind of a man, but it is the purpose of the LORD that will be established.”
   
You see, even though the Lord and I have walked together for 36 years, there are times I still struggle with self. I want my plans, my purposes, to succeed.  
 
And so I need a reminder that the God who has me engraved on the palms of His hands (Isaiah 49:16), the Father who rejoices over me with gladness, quiets me with His love, and exults over me with singing (Zephaniah 3:17) – this God whose love for me reaches to the heavens, His faithfulness to the clouds (Psalm 36:5) – He and only He holds my times, my life, in His hands.
   
He will work all things for my good (Romans 8:28) – even this hitch glitch. 


When I get out of line, Lord, remind me yet again that You want what’s best for me. Amen.

 
Special-Tea: Read Psalm 31
 
UPDATE: We got the hitch glitch resolved. The trailer is now sitting in our driveway. 
      

No comments:

Post a Comment