Sunday, June 2, 2013

Finding Mrs. Wiggles

Rascal and Providence
Where can I go from your Spirit? Where can I flee from your presence? If I go up to the heavens, you are there; if I make my bed in the depths, you are there. If I rise on the wings of the dawn, if I settle on the far side of the sea, even there your hand will guide me, your right hand will hold me fast. – Psalm 139:7–10 NIV
      
      
I was scanning through the posts on Facebook when I saw a photo of a lost dog. A friend’s husband had found it wandering about during a storm and took it home. Mrs. Wiggles, as my friend’s family dubbed it, had no tags and her microchip hadn’t been registered.
      
“She is such a sweetheart,” my friend posted. “Please share this picture and help find her family.”
      
No bigger than a grain of rice, a microchip is an implanted device that provides permanent information about the pet and, unlike tags, cannot be removed. Every microchip comes with a number, which is registered into a database along with the pet owner’s name and contact information. Why on earth did Mrs. Wiggles’ owner not register this beloved pet?
      
I know how concerned I get when one of my two cats takes off and doesn’t come back for a day or so. It doesn’t happen too often, but when it does, I check the door frequently, hoping to see her hopeful face peering in the kitchen through the patio door glass. Losing a pet is like losing a member of your family. Only another pet-lover understands the grief you feel.
      
So I was delighted when I saw a follow-up from my friend, posted only two hours after the original plea: “I’m happy to report that we found Mrs. Wiggles’ family. Register your microchipped pets, friends! Thankfully, her vet kept good records.”
      
Kudos to my friend Robyn and her husband for caring enough for a lost dog that they took the time to try to find the owner.
      
God is the same way with us. He cares when we wander off during a life storm, but He knows where we are at all times. “He has set eternity in the hearts of men” (Ecclesiastes 3:11). That’s our divine microchip. But it’s up to us register it by believing in Him and receiving His gift of the Holy Spirit.
      
Perhaps we’ve registered it, but we’ve lost our way, our purpose, our vision for the future. We haven’t a clue which direction is home.
      
Then all we have to do is call to Him, and He will answer (Jeremiah 33:3). Our owner (and Great Physician) keeps good records!
      
If, like Mrs. Wiggles, you’re wandering about in a storm, be assured your loving Father knows where you are and is sending His angels to bring you home.
      
      
Father, You know where I am at all times, even when I don’t. You don’t force Yourself upon anyone but wait until we call. Thank you. Amen.


Special-Tea: Read Psalm 139
 
      

No comments:

Post a Comment