Monday, December 17, 2012

I'm not poor at all

Dear Readers,

Back when my children’s voices filled our home, I did my best every year to get them what they wanted for Christmas. But with my husband’s job providing the only steady income, the budget was a balancing act. One year I felt so poor, I sat down to pen my feelings. Writing is a way not only to express myself, but also to help me see things more clearly. The poem seemed to flow from me, and when I was done, I realized what the real gifts were—and that I was rich indeed.

Today, with the economy teetering and fears of the looming fiscal cliff abounding, may we all realize where our treasure lies.


I'M NOT POOR AT ALL
      
Dear Lord, I’m feeling down today,
The bills are stacked up high;
With Christmas just two weeks away,
Our bank account’s run dry.
 
The kids have all presented lists
Of things they want to see;
I hope and pray there’s nothing missed
Beneath our Christmas tree.
 
But I don’t have the money for
Expensive clothes and toys;
My credit card can’t take much more –
Lord, where’s my Christmas joy?
 
Perhaps it’s wrapped up in that hug
My daughter gave this morn;
Or stacked with wood my son did lug
To keep us nice and warm.
 
Perhaps it’s in my oldest’s eyes
When he comes home on break
And sees I’ve baked those pumpkin pies
He wanted me to make.
 
Perhaps it’s in the tired lines
Around my husband’s eyes.
Perhaps in love that’s grown with time
I’ve found the greater prize.
 
A friend who gives a hearty smile,
And cupboards that aren’t bare;
And, even if they aren’t in style, 
I’ve got some clothes to wear.
 
A family who believes in me
In all things, great and small –
Dear God, I think I finally see
I am not poor at all.

For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also. –Matthew 6:21 (RSV)

by 
Michele T. Huey 
 (c) 1997 Michele T. Huey. All rights reserved.
 
me and my wise man, Dec. 16, 2012

No comments:

Post a Comment