Sunday, September 23, 2012

Waiting for the inspector


“I tell you the truth, those who listen to my message and believe in God who sent me have eternal life. They will never be condemned for their sins, but they have already passed from death into life.” – Jesus, as quoted in John 5:24 (NLT)
     
     

Our roof and deck project took a lot longer than we expected. Back in April, when we applied for the building permit, my husband and I thought we’d be done well before the October 1 deadline. But here we are, a little more than a week away from that looming date, waiting for the inspector to examine our work and declare it acceptable.
     
This is the first time we’ve hired anyone to do anything in the 33 years since we began building our house. When the time came to re-roof the place and add the front and back decks we’ve wanted for so long, Dean wanted to do it all himself. But I put my foot down. No way my husband, a 60-something man who puts in 11 hours a day at his day job, was going to put on a new roof. We’re no spring things anymore. So we hired a contractor for that part of the project.
     
I did concede the construction of both front and back decks, though. Knowing Dean loves working with wood, I figured the pleasure he’d get was well worth the after-work hours he’d spend on it.
     
But my man is particular—a perfectionist, if you will—and having to have his work inspected added additional stress, not unlike preparing for final exams. I don’t know how many times he called this inspector guy, wanting to make sure what he was doing would be acceptable.
     
His wanting to make everything just right took extra time. The daylight hours grew shorter, reminding us of the looming deadline. Then finally, it was time to call the inspector.
     

“Call me as soon as he leaves,” my husband told me the day he was supposed to come. We spent the day hoping his work would pass.
   
Our waiting for the inspector is not unlike waiting for judgment day.
     
I remember a conversation I had with my late uncle about whether or not he’d go to heaven when he died.
     
“I hope I will,” he said.
     
“You can more than hope,” I told him. “You can know.”
     
How do I know? God tells me so in His Word.
     
Sadly, too many only hope rather than know. They’re afraid the bad they’ve done will outweigh the good and bar them from eternal life in heaven. They don’t truly believe all their sins were forgiven when they trusted in Jesus (1 John 1:9). Too many focus on their old sin nature and forget they were given new natures when they believed: “Anyone who belongs to Christ has become a new person. The old life is gone; a new life has begun!” (2 Corinthians 5:17 NLT).
     
How can you live a life of victory and joy when you’re dredging up all that garbage that Jesus dealt with once and for all on the cross? When you fear appearing before the judgment seat of God?
     
Fear not, believer, because you won’t be judged. Get it? You don’t have to fear inspection because you’ve already passed!
     
     
Thank you, Jesus, that I passed inspection when I believed in You. Amen.

     
Special-Tea: Read Ephesians 2:1–10


No comments:

Post a Comment