Sunday, December 11, 2011

A Him-possible situation

The virgin will be with child and will give birth to a son, and will call him Immanuel.  - Isaiah 7:14 (NIV)
          
“Did it actually happen, or was it all a dream?” Mary wondered, stuffing an extra robe into the basket. Was Elizabeth really pregnant as the messenger had claimed? In her old age? Impossible!
     
But then he had added, “Nothing is impossible with God.”
     
This impromptu trip to Jerusalem would clear up any doubts. Then she’d deal with Joseph. She couldn’t imagine what his reaction would be. She already planned what she’d say.
     
“Joseph, I’m going to have a baby, but don’t worry, I haven’t been unfaithful. God sent an angel to tell me that I’m to be the mother of the Messiah we’ve been waiting for so long!”
     
Oh, brother, what a mess! Joseph was understanding, more so than most men, but even he’d laugh at something like that.
     
“Oh, Joseph,” she sighed, remembering when he first asked her father for her hand in marriage. How she rejoiced when he’d given his consent! The dowry paid, she waited, trying to be patient, while Joseph prepared the home they would soon share. And now this.
     
“Joseph,” she pleaded silently, “please believe me.”
     
The angel’s words echoed in her mind and sank down into her heart: Nothing is impossible with God.
     
“Yes, that’s it!” she thought, pulling on the lid of the basket with a flourish and fastening it to the sides. She’d leave the matter with Him.
     
Like Mary, I, too, often face times when I’m up against it with no way out. That’s when I turn things over to God. What’s impossible for me is possible for Him.
     
     
As I light the third candle on my Advent wreath, Father, I am reminded that You are still the God of the impossible. Give me Mary’s simple faith when the winds of doubt blow. Amen.

Special-Tea: Read Luke 1:26-38

     
     

No comments:

Post a Comment