Friday, November 26, 2010

Thanksgiving

Huey family, 1986
Here's a poem I wrote one day when the kids were little and I was sitting at the dining room table, looking at the mess around me:

THANKSGIVING

I’m thankful for the muddy floor that greets me everyday;
I’m thankful for the dirty socks that on the floor doth lay.

I’m thankful for the fingerprints that deck both chair and wall.
I’m thankful for the daily dust that on the desk doth fall.

I’m thankful for my kitchen sink that hides the dirty dish;
I’m thankful for the splattered wall from when I fried the fish.

I’m thankful for the Cheerios,™ Playdoh,™ and other yuk;
And all the stones and crayons that plug my sweeper up.

I’m thankful for the toothpaste smeared on the bathroom door;
I’m thankful for the wad of gum stuck to the kitchen floor.

I’m thankful for the scattered toys that often pierce my feet
when I must run to get the phone before I've time to sweep.

I’m thankful for the mending I love so much to do
That I hide it in  the corner and buy them something new.

I’m thankful for the unmade beds that mean I’m not alone;
I’m thankful for so many things that make our house a home.

For I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances.
- Philippians 4:11 (NIV)

© 1996 Michele T. Huey. All rights reserved

1 comment: