Monday, September 28, 2009

Glow in the dark

When Moses came down from Mount Sinai, his face was radiant because he had spoken with the LORD. – Exodus 34:29 (NIV)

I can remember when I first discovered how glow-in-the-dark figures really worked. Until then I’d never really given much thought to how something could radiate light without being a source of light itself. I noticed how the figures shone brightly at first, then slowly lost their glow.

Rather than give off light all by themselves, glow-in-the-dark figures radiate the light they’ve absorbed from a light source such as a light bulb or the sun. The brighter the light source and the closer and longer the exposure, the more light is absorbed and the brighter the glow.

I remember how I’d take a glow-in-the-dark figure and hold it close to a light bulb, then hurry to a darkened room so I could watch it glow. But the glow would eventually fade, and I’d have to return for more light.

Christians, too, are “glow-in-the-dark” figures. We are to radiate the light we absorb from God to a world darkened with selfishness and sin. The closer we get and the longer we stay in His presence, the brighter we will glow.

I wonder how well I am radiating God to those around me. Too often I jump right into the day without taking much time to absorb His light through praying and reading His Word. Then, when I go into the sin-darkened world, His radiance dims much too quickly.

Yes, I can go to church once or twice a week and catch some light, but it’s only when I’m up close to God on a daily basis and I spend adequate time with Him that I absorb – and then radiate – the most Light.

Remind me, O God, that my purpose in life is to radiate Your glory. For You alone are the true Source of Light. Amen.

Special-Tea: Matthew 5:14-16; Exodus 34:29-35







2

No comments:

Post a Comment